Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What is Love?

As a teenager, I thought that love was mysterious, magical and romantic. I thought it was something that happened like a spark igniting a fire. I thought we were all playing the same game on the same field.
I had a lot to learn. We might all be looking for love but we are not all seeking the same thing. Some are looking for companionship. Some are looking to fulfill sexual needs. Some are looking for someone to take care of them . Others are looking for someone they can control. There are also those who are filling a void until the next thing comes along. The fortunate ones are those who know about love and find others who do too.
I found out that I need to love and value myself before I could be in a healthy relationship. The hot attractions may sizzle out but love lasts. If I had valued myself, I would not have let others use me or hung in there only to be neglected. I would have been valued and had a two way relationship.
For me, humor is an important part of a relationship. Life is hard but if you can laugh at yourself and share that with someone, it lightens the load. Love means to me that you feel comfortable being yourself and not fearing that the other person will leave you. Love is being forgiven for being human. Everyone has good traits and bad traits, but one has to know that other one can accept you as you are.
I care for a man now. It is not for things he has done for me but for the things he has done for others. He is a man of great love. He was married to a woman who battled cancer during their whole marriage until she passed away. He was by her side when she was treated in their hometown and in other states. They could not have children so they adopted. One is an American child and the other is one from China. He is now a single dad. Some men have biological children that they abandon but this man is so loving that he has adopted someone else's children and loves them as his own. Someone once told me if you want to know how someone will treat you, watch how they treat others. I believe that is so true!

No comments:

Post a Comment